Monday, September 3, 2007

Do you use your crock pot?

I do and I love it, although this summer it has had more shelf time as I have grilled alot more. But it was still used at least once a week or maybe two. Let this wonderful kitchen servant keep you from becoming frantic as dinner time draws nearer. I am going to post some crock pot links today and I will try my best to post a couple of my crock pot recipes in the next few days.


Some things I do in the crockpot: baked potatoes (wrap in foil and turn it on low), rice can be cooked in the crockpot, soups (most recipes can be easily adapted for the crock pot), I make oatmeal in our crock pot: 1 cup steel cut oats 4 cups water put into the crock pot and cook on low or keep warm(my crock pot is fairly new and gets really hot, so keep warm gives us a nice well cooked oatmeal by morning) in the morning I add honey, brown sugar or succant and serve. This is one that has to be experimented with to get it the way you like it and it takes some getting used to the steel cut oats, I use Bob's red mill steel cut oats . So, have a back up plan the first time you make this


Sometimes I double the recipe to make sure we have leftovers and I make these muffins


Oatmeal Muffins


1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or all purpose


1 cup brown sugar


1 tsp. baking powder, I use Rumford


1 tsp. baking soda


1/2 tsp. cinnamon


Whisk together in a bowl:


1/2 cup oil


2 eggs


1 cup leftover oatmeal


1 tsp. vanilla


1/2 cup raisins or nuts (optional)


Combine ingredients until just combined; fill muffin tins 2/3 full; bake at 350 for 18 minutes


These are yummy!


Recipezaar has some crockpot recipes to look through, as does this site and this one and these are just ones I googled. So, instead of linking them here, google crock pot recipes  or even the meal you think you could use like "sloppy joes crock pot recipe". That is a good one to use.


So, experiment and research, those of you who read my open house blog, this is one of those "continuing education" areas. It also saves time and as most of us are getting back into the swing of things with school a crock pot can insure we get a healthy home cooked meal on the table with minimal effort on our part. Use those kitchen servants ladies!!


May the Lord find us faithful.

2 comments:

  1. Right now I have round steak cooking in a lovely cream of mushroom sauce. Everybody just loves this recipe (although I do use cooking wine in it!). Here it is:


    Cut up one onion and some mushrooms, layer on the bottom

    Add 1 lb. round steak, cut into bit size pieces.

    Cover with:

    1 can cream of mushroom soup

    1 cup cooking wine

    1 packet onion soup mix

    3 cloves garlic, minced


    Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Right now it's starting to smell really good and I'm getting hungry!


    Sometimes I put my crockpot away for a few months and then I wonder what I was every thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flylady (flylady.net) says the crockpot is the Queen of your kitchen. I use mine all summer long. I try to have on recipe a week and I always double it because my mama gave me the biggest crock she could find for my birthday one year! (thanks mama!)

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete