I think that the Homeschool Open House idea by Tiany is a fantastic idea. So, here goes my post......
- Intro-- We are a Christian family striving to raise blessings that will serve the Lord in complete surrender. I have a teaching degree but have not worked outside of the home since I had my first blessing 9 years ago. That said, I have three blessings, 9, 7, and almost 6(5 1/2 if you ask her!) We have homeschooled from the beginning, it was a natural flow for us. This post gives my intro from one of my first posts here at hsb.
- What does our day look like? My goal is to rise before the blessings and shower and spend time reading the Bible and praying. I do not always meet my goal but I try and seem to be getting a little better. Once the blessings wake up, we have breakfast and I check email and read blogs or post on my blog. (I love that whole adding /friends to the end of your blogs url and reading all updated blogs on my friends list, a real time saver) For all non-hsb blogs I subscribe to blog lines and read them all in one place as well. Double time saver and that will come in handy when we get back to a full school schedule. After breakfast the blessings get ready for their day and have three chores each to complete. Then we sit down together for Bible and prayer and then get into the school work of the day. I am not so concerned with teaching my children things but teaching them the Word of God, teaching them to be Christ like, I am more concerned with their spiritual education. We have completely switched to Ambleside Online beginning with this summer. I do how ever use Mystery of History for history and Apologia Science as well. I am really looking forward to getting into this school year and we will get back into the school routine after my Mom's visit next week. I try to spend as little money as possible and use the library as much as possible, as well as the internet. I think the internet is my most used school tool.
- Schedule-- I cannot seem to schedule to the minute or the hour. We have a routine and things happen in a fairly sequential order, just not a timed down to the second thing.
- Where do we school? At this time we school in the dining room. When we are able to get a different couch (right now we have a huge sectional and only one real way to arrange the room) I have a plan to get a table and have our school time in there with the couch since we do a lot of read alouds. That way everything and everyone can be in one room. (This is my dream and I am unsure when it will come to pass) So, for now we school mainly at the dining room table.
- My must share tip-- This one is for the Mom's, continue to educate yourself. I am not suggesting going to college but self education. (One of my goals for my blessings is for them to learn to learn. I do not have a goal of teaching them every thing there is to know. Just for them to know how to learn. ) Take up a hobby, research educational methods and philosophies, sew, knit, crochet, bake, etc. Always be in the habit of reading and learning something. Keep busy so that when your blessings leave your home you are prepared as well as they are prepared for the next step in their lives.
Well, I think that is it for this post. I could go on and on about home education for many posts but I will stop here for now.
May the Lord find us faithful.