Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Come along with me!

This is a full post. First of all, if any of you have any ideas for neat things to add to a hope chest that is to be given to a 16 1/2 year old, please share. We are making her a recipe book full of family recipes and having special people in her life write her notes/letters to be complied and placed inside. (I know the normal items that go inside a hope chest, I am asking for any other "special" things we can place inside) And no, I do not have a 16 year old that I have been hiding but Pa-Pa does and her daughter is getting an hope chest this summer and we want to have a few special things to start it out with. Thank you in advance.


For those popping over from Tiany's either scroll to the bottom or join the tour of my little town.


Now, the tour of our little town continues:


First, on this day the temperature was -6 degrees, not too bad, seriously.


December2007381.jpg picture by kaysmarmey


Jump into the van with me and we will grab a cup of coffee or hot chocolate and take a tour.


 


December2007367.jpg picture by kaysmarmey


December2007368.jpg picture by kaysmarmey


These drive up coffee places are quite popular here, they are everywhere. With names like Mocha moose, strange brew, Mocha Dan's, sunrise, the list goes on and on.


After the post office, I headed over to the library to grab a picture there. It was not opened yet, but I got my picture. We are supposed to get a new, larger library in the not so near future, just in the planning phase now. We need it, there is not enough room for the books! I do my best to take as many as possible to help them out


!December2007355.jpg picture by kaysmarmey


Next, I snapped a photo of one of the candy cane light pole we sport on Santa Claus Lane in North Pole, yes, Santa Claus Lane. 


December2007361.jpg picture by kaysmarmey


We won't stop by the play ground today, but here is one on Santa Claus Lane, my blessings always called this one the fire truck playground as it has a fire truck!


December2007362.jpg picture by kaysmarmey


 Santa Claus House is on St. Nicholas Drive!  I hope this map link works. North Pole city limits are quite small and do not live in the city limits but we have the North Pole mailing address.


December2007379.jpg picture by kaysmarmey


December2007378.jpg picture by kaysmarmey


This is the North Pole website


Hey, over at the RV park next to Santa Claus House there is an Ice Festival going on, let's look at a couple of the carvings, there is more info on this at the North Pole website listed just above.


December2007370.jpg picture by kaysmarmey


 


December2007374.jpg picture by kaysmarmey


This would have been a great place for a Christmas Card picture this year, too bad I do not get out much! I wonder how many people from our area sent this as a Christmas card picture?


December2007372.jpg picture by kaysmarmey


December2007373.jpg picture by kaysmarmey


Yum, Pagoda was one of the ice park sponsers, I love Pagoda. I never like Asian food until I ate here after we were married. I know this is a dark picture but I am adding for those  readers who have moved away from here and enjoyed Pagoda while living here.


 December2007376.jpg picture by kaysmarmey


This big guy sits next to his house.


December2007369.jpg picture by kaysmarmey


I learn something new every day! Our Wendy's is the number one fast food stop according to the travel channel. Wow, I am majorly taking this place for granted!


December2007365.jpg picture by kaysmarmey


December2007363.jpg picture by kaysmarmey


So, what will it be for lunch? Wendy's or Pagoda? Please say Pagoda!!


Thanks for going with me and have a safe trip home.


Next Tiany has a lot going on this week. She asked us to share a few of our favorite things. That is tough for me. But I will try. Stop by and wish her a very happy Blogoversary!


I really like my Bare Escentuals makeup


I also like that Victoria is being published again. I read this magazine in college and stopped when I married and moved to the Last Frontier. I have since realized that I can live here and still be myself.


I also love paper, stationary, notebooks, pencils, pens, etc. I love paper and plan on dabbling in calligraphy this year. I have always wanted to do so, now is the time.


Tiany also has a giveaway for a Raising Godly Tomatoes Book that looks great. I am going to check this one out.


Title1.gif image by kaysmarmey


One last thing, I also blog for hsb's homeschool nations for the Alaska blog. This week I linked to a few Alaska web cams. Pop over and check out other parts of my great state. Thanks. 


May the Lord find us faithful.

14 comments:

  1. I did not have a hope chest, it actually was a space underneath my bed. One of the best things that I saved for was a really nice punch bowl with a good ladle. Now, you would not normally think of this, but I have used that punch bowl a lot in 15 years of marriage and for the many birthdays of my kids. May I humbly suggest that because this is one item I could not have afforded once the kids came.


    Something else that was given to me when I graduated high school, from an Aunt was a really nice, expensive crockpot. This was the larger one that the inside ceremic bowl came out (for easier cleaning) and it could be used as a deep fryer.


    I also saved up for a set of pyrex bowls; 4 nesting with tops. I can not tell you how many times I have used those in 16 years; as mixing bowls, freezer storage, you name it.


    I hope this gives you some great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Thanks for viewing my Van Gogh Blog ( solidrock 2) I love your blog!!!!! You are very creative. We enjoyed viewing all the snow and weather facts and the wonderful photos. Your -7 degrees makes our 38 degrees feel mighty warm! Blessings. Come visit my regular blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to add it last post:

    It might already be on your list of things to add:

    Something from Grandparents on both sides such as a dish, blanket, keepsake

    Something special from both parents and from each sibling she may have.

    A new bible

    A journal

    A photo album of just her...

    A lock of her hair as a child and now. ( it will change later!)

    A locket with family photo

    A family tree document all filled out up to her...

    Photo Frames and books and scrapbooking supplies.

    Letter from mom, grandmom, aunts, sisters, ect.

    Special letter from dad to his daughter

    Any special item she just loved ( could be a nic nac, a dish, ect) that is in your house.

    A care kit for her of her favorite things: shampoo, soaps, lotions, so on.

    A few of her favorite hobbie things

    A few of her favorite books

    A few of her favorite childhood toys ( try to find photos of her with these toys)



    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, have the pagoda and have an egg role for me. I love the ideas.....Kayla will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brrr.... I enjoyed my tour. What time of day were we out touring? How is that sun treating you in Alaska? I mentioned you today in a post, btw. Happy Wednesday!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful country you live in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved touring around your town. Thanks so much for posting it!


    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. You might have them give the girl for her hope chest some of her favorite Christmas tree ornaments if they do that sort of thing.


    Carol

    www.homeschoolblogger.com/threelittleladies

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenn4him sent me to your blog and I'm so glad she did. Your pictures are just beautiful. I'm longing for wintry scenes out my window instead of palm trees, but I have to confess that anything below 65 degrees keeps me inside. I know that's pathetic. I'm a wimp. I guess it comes from living in the South for too long. I do tolerate 100 degrees and 98% humidity reasonably well though. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Dear,

    Thank you for the tour. That is funny about the name of your streets. I love Asian food too, but also like Wendy's. I would have never guess either place was way up there. Well, we will just have to do lunch some time. I didn't know you did the Alaska site. I will have to pop on over there - maybe wait until my dh is home - he loves to look at your Alaska pictures - but I better not show him too many, else he will have us moving there in no time. (it's cold enough here & I don't think the horses would like it lol.) Warm Wishes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found your link when Jenn "C-boxed" Marla. You live in North Pole. Very cool (no pun intended). I thoroughly enjoyed the city tour, and especially the "Ice Slide" ad. Whoo-hoo! That sounds faster than a water slide. Does it get hot there in the summer?

    Hmmm...I guess I better pop over to Tiany and see what she has going. I've been remiss in visiting this week. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Melissa!


    I so enjoyed traveling with you across the North Pole. I'm a little chilly now though. -6 is not my idea of a day out. I wouldn't mind hybernating inside of one of the coffee shops though. The ice sculptures were amazing. I bet they are even more beautiful in person. Ashley is doing calligraphy this year. I bought her a really nice set off of good ole eBay. Hope you have a blessed week. Thanks again for the road trip!


    Blessings,

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful snow pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing all those pictures. What a great place!


    Looks like somewhere I'd like to visit.


    Have a great day,

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete