Friday, January 18, 2008

• Jan. 18, 2008 - Snow (Updated with pictures)

We had a large dumping of snow on Wednesday night. It was great, you probably think it is funny that I say that but Fairbanks in not known for large snowfalls. Sure we have snow on the ground from October- April but the quantites are usually small, it just stays put because of our cold temperatures. Have you also noticed that I have never posted a picture of my blessings making snowmen? We have a dry snow here and it does not compact into snowballs at all. You pick it up and it falls out of your hand like granulated sugar. Why? we live in a dry climate, that is one of the reasons why I always say 0 degrees isn't that bad, because it isn't that bad! This man's article is a good read to learn a little more about Alaska and our snow fall amounts. I tried to find some technical explanation for our dry snow but I will have to keep looking. I do not have a picture uploaded right now but I will work on it this weekend to get some deep snow pictures on here to add to this post. My to-do list is calling my name. Here is our deep snow. January2008016.jpg picture by kaysmarmey This is what I call a table top green house made by my sweetheart. We can grow two or three tomato plants in here in the summer. January2008017.jpg picture by kaysmarmey This is my new little shrubby tree that I bought at Lowe's this fall, it is supposed to survive -50 degree temps. but now it is a little more insulated against the colder temperatures that will come later in Jan. and Feb. January2008019.jpg picture by kaysmarmey This is our lone black spruce tree in our yard. Here is a picture and article of a large black spruce tree. January2008015.jpg picture by kaysmarmey This site has some Alaska pictures that look really cool. (Oh, Jenn you will love this site!)

No comments:

Post a Comment