Saturday, January 12, 2008

Revisiting the crock pot

I have posted about my love of my favorite kitchen servant, the crock pot before. Right now I have ground meat and onion cooking in the crock pot, when the meat is thoroughly cooked I will add the rest of the ingredients for


Southwest meat and potato stew


2 lbs. ground beef(moose in my case)


1 large onion chopped


1 cup water, divided


1 can (28oz) diced tomatoes


1 bag (16 oz) frozen corn


3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed


1 cup salsa


1 tsp. each salt and cumin


1/2 tsp each garlic powder and pepper


2 Tbsp. flour


In dutch oven, brown beef and onion, drain(I do not have to drain moose, we grind ourselves and do not add any fat, moose is not a fatty meat like beef). Add 3/4 cup water and all else except flour and extra water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Combine flour and remaining water. Stir into stew. Cook until slightly thickened. ( I have often skipped the flour part and it is just as good with out)


I am adapting this recipe to my crock pot. My crock pot gets very hot on high, so after the kitchen was cleaned up from brunch I pulled out old faithful and tossed in the meat and chopped an onion and threw it in. My meat will not be dark brown but it will be cooked thoroughly. (One of my beefs with the crock pot is all the pre browning,etc. often required. When looking for a crock pot recipe I  look for that. ) Here I go with parenthetical thoughts. Once that is accomplished I will add the remaining ingredients and go about my day regaining some sort of control over this house before plunging into next week.


Speaking of crockpots, one of my favorite blogs to read is  Clark Chatter ,. she just started a Crock pot blog that I have been reading. Stop in and see what she is cooking up. I have not tried any of the recipes but they all look yummy and very practical.


When you plan your menu for this week (you do make a menu, don't you?) Plan at least one crock pot meal, you will not be disappointed. Let your kitchen servants do the work for you while you spend time with your blessings.


May the Lord find us faithful.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, a Crock Pot blog! Wow, I need to head over there next. I am with you. I use mine all the time. She is the Queen of my kitchen as Flylady says! Your stew sounds like what I am going to make in mine tomorrow! Very similar! Too fun. But I won't have any mooger in mine. *wink* I am glad to hear the worst of your winter is over. Ours is yet to come. February is our coldest and snowiest month and then it is over and Spring comes in late March. Today, I only needed a light jacket, which was odd for January. What kinds of birds do you have in Alaska that stay for your winters? I hope you take photos of your bird feeders. I should have made mine, but I had some Christmas money to spend and so I got what I really wanted. Otherwise, I would not have spent that money. But I was under orders to spend it on something for me! (If you know what I mean!) OK, this is now a book. I should say good night!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete