Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Oatmeal in the crock pot

Making oatmeal in the crock pot is a trial and error thing so I will give the disclaimer first. Have a back up plan incase it turns out horrible. (I had that happen in the beginning)


I put 1 cup of steel cut oats (I buy them in the bulk bins in the natural foods section of the grocery store)


4 cups water


In my crockpot it works best to put the oats in around 8-9pm and cook them on keep warm. That works for my crock pot but it is relatively new and gets really hot. Plus they cook for a good 10+ hours.  When we get up I add a little sweetener and the blessings like cinnamon in theirs.


Some friends of ours hooked up a timer to their crockpot and only cooked them for a few hours. There is a learning curve as to what works best in your crock pot and if you have never eated steel cut oats, they are yummy but different. They have  a little bit of a "bite" which I personally love. I started making these a couple of years ago and my blessings don't remember the other oatmeal. (Which I use for granola, granola bars and my favorite; no bake cookies, plus other oatmeal recipes. I even put rolled oats or quick oats in my meatloaf, I also use salsa after one day cutting onion, and green pepper to put in my meat loaf and adding tomato sauce. I was kind of like, why chop, just pour!! I have made it that way ever since. Once every 15 years I have a good thought like that.


Oh, yeah, some people add dried fruit to the oatmeal for the whole cooking process, but that did not work for us. Plus, I am a plain jane (Oh, hi friend) oatmeal gal myself.


 


What do you add to your oatmeal?


May the Lord find us faithful.

2 comments:

  1. I usually like brown sugar, cinnamon and walnuts, oh and a bit of butter! Thank you for your crock pot oatmeal advice. My crock is newer too and HOT, so I will take that into consideration. Have a nice night! We are under a wind advisory. Tornadoes came through earlier, only a few miles from my grandparents! Now it is freezing and snowing. Crazy January weather!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember a certain gentleman that would hook his steel cut oats up to a timer so they would not overcook!! Didn't he used to live on Mission Rd? :)

    PV

    ReplyDelete