Thursday, March 3, 2011

Life

My Wonderful Husband and the three older Blessings are in the garage processing moose meat as I type. I am waiting for Benjamin to go to sleep and then I am off to clean the dining room and fold some laundry. I am so thankful for those three helpers who take up my slack while the little one is well, little. Actually, while I was preparing dinner and cleaning up after dinner only two Blessings were out helping Dad and we had one inside keeping Benjamin occupied. That helped me tremendously. We had a most tasty caribou vegetable soup for dinner tonight. I have tried for years to make good soup and finally in that past couple of years I have begun to make decent soup. I think the keep is making my own broth and really making the most of those aromatic vegetables? My favorite soup for as long as I can remember has been Campbell's vegetable beef soup. I have almost gotten my soup to somewhat of that consistency; although, I haven't tasted that soup in so long I could be way off. Either way, the family has learned to embrace the soup and that is enough for me. 
Since I posted pictures of the caribou and since I have so many posts about moose in the past, I don't think another is necessary right now.
Well, there is no noise coming from the boys' bedroom so I must get busy!

5 comments:

  1. I still can't make a decent soup, but then again I don't make my own broth. I have a few creamy soups we really like, guess that will have to do. Glad things are going so well up by you. :)

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't seem to make a decent broth. Maybe you need to post that recipe? Pleeeaaassseee? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soup is my "thing"...but I have never made it with caribou. I love making my own broth. Sometimes, I use shortcut stock, but I LOVE chicken broth made with whole chicken and aromatice.

    The secret to getting that consistency is the pearled barley. The longer you let it simmer with the barley, the closer it will get to that consistency.

    http://www.guideposts.org/recipes/family-comes-together-through-soup-tradition

    Click the link above, and you are gonna laugh! I'll have to make it for you one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooops...never post and fuss at kids at the same time ;) I meant aromatics...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought that aromatice was a culinary word that I was unfamiliar with. I really like it, we should use it! I usually use pearl barley and that does give the consistency that I love. I really like thick soups almost stews more than soups. I am learning!

    ReplyDelete