Monday, March 7, 2011

A Series: Home Education Clarification

Lest anyone think that we use no text books or "curriculum" you can check out what we use by clicking on the CURRICULUM tab at the top of the page.
What do I look for in curriculum?

  • What are our need(s) for the Blessings or one particular student? Example: For years I combined history and science with all the Blessings working on the same thing. Yet, each working at his/her own level of ability. I have pretty much always used Apologia for science. Works for us. We still have history as a combined subject but this is our first year for our science studies to be separate (Levi is working through Apologia General Science)
  • I really look to books, guides, curriculum that has been written/published by homeschoolers, again, works for us.
  • I like a whole or living books approach to history. I have yet to carry this over completely to all subjects but this is a process. 
  • I try to avoid busy work; therefore, making all work necessary and purposeful for learning.
Just  a few of today's thoughts on the subject. As I begin looking forward to a high school student, I am sad to think that much more of his learning will be independent of me. But, he must fly sometime.

2 comments:

  1. Living books are so rich. I've learned a lot that way this go around (meaning my kids go around is my second.) Apologia General is working very well with my oldest. I am not sure it will work with my middle. She is using Abeka and really enjoying that approach. Each child is different. As for the smilies... I got all of mine via photobucket. You can just "save as" the ones you see that you like of mine and probably most of our friends. Then upload to picnik or photobucket or whatever you use to get the direct url code. Then go to cbox, log in, go to options, smilies and add away! If you need any help, just let me know.
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been tweaking our curriculum the last several days to include more living books.

    Blessings!
    sharity

    ReplyDelete