Monday, March 21, 2011

Methods/ Philosophies

One word of clarification before I go any further: I am just a Mom, who educates her children at home. My way isn't the only way and I am not an expert. But, who is really? I can only share information I have found useful and tell the story of our family..

Now on to methods and/or philosophies....
A to Z Home's Cool has a pretty good listing of methods/philosophies posted that might answer any questions anyone would have about this. I am not going to reinvent the wheel here so use the internet sources and the wonderful information others have assembled. This is what I did when I began.

For us, as I mentioned above I use living books for most of our history instruction. We lapbook/notebook along with what we are learning. I would really call my personal education style eclectic. We use a text book for math and even for one of my students for English grammar this year.
I personally do not enjoy a "box" or traditional classroom curriculum. Too much busy work, which is helpful and often needful in an actual classroom but not for our education at home.

Education choices, philosophies are different for each child/family. In the past I have avoided using different curriculum for each student. I have combined as much as possible for my own sanity. ( I will address sanity in another post.) Learning styles play a big role in what works for each child. I have a couple who just like to get things finished and would thrive in a tradition setting. Others think differently and would flounder in that environment. I have one child who is very hands-on, project driven. Right now I have three children who are completing the same project. One is 2/3 finished, one is 1/3 finished and 1/4 finished...they are all different and they each need time to work at their own pace.

Just remember, as in most areas of life...DO NOT compare yourself to any other family who educates at home. Observe, take notes and then do what is best for your learners. You might enjoy classical education but think that unschooling is not for you. Another family might thrive in an unschooling environment yet fail if they tried to implement classical education in their home.  The method you use is completely up to you. The goal is pretty much the same, raising children who love to learn.

4 comments:

  1. I think comparing is the worst mistake you can make as homeschoolers. It will drive you nuts. I work very hard not to compare myself to others, including the public school. If your child is struggling, it is easy to think the public school could do better. Most likely, they could not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is it! Creating learners.

    I was asked why we don't do grades. I don't believe in just taking a test for a grade. We test, but then we go back and re-learn if needed. Learning isn't for a grade. It is for learning alone!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good post and I needed to hear someone else say..."Just remember, as in most areas of life...DO NOT compare yourself to any other family who educates at home. Observe, take notes and then do what is best for your learners." I am re evaluating this week of where we are and where we need to go. This reminder was very timely, thank you.

    Blessings and ((HUGS))<><
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good reminder. Thank you! I think my struggles often begin when I start comparing myself/my kids to others, whether they be public schoolers or other homeschoolers.

    Sharity

    ReplyDelete