Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Moose meat (Warning: this post contains pictures of raw meat!)

Well, I am home from work and my sweetheart has started cutting up the moose. We have had lunch and I am getting ready to package meat (my job), the blessings will help package as well.  Here is the moose hanging in our garage last night.  The meat is hanging inside of a game bag. The moose is gutted and skinned in the field and the meat comes home like this. Moose are way too big to bring out whole.


November2007012.jpg image by kaysmarmey


November2007013.jpg image by kaysmarmey


When I got home he was finishing up the second front shoulder, they are smaller and will make mostly burger meat. Yes, he is wearing gloves, he likes to be clean! The table is covered with plastic and everything gets sanitized when we are finished.


November2007014.jpg image by kaysmarmey


November2007015.jpg image by kaysmarmey


November2007016.jpg image by kaysmarmey


November2007018.jpg image by kaysmarmey


 


A little home education time. Dad is giving an anatomy lesson, explaining where this bone is located on the moose.


November2007019.jpg image by kaysmarmey


November2007020.jpg image by kaysmarmey


Now I have to go get the kitchen table cleared off to package meat. I will have to have a blessing take a pic to add later. I must go take a picture of the hind quarter, they are huge!!


This moose is actually the biggest that sweetheart has ever taken, so it will get mounted and hung in our family room, just the antlers not the actual head. The rest of the moose antlers are on our roof, we are true Alaskans!!


May the Lord find us faithful.

4 comments:

  1. Nice bull! Wish Robert and I had been there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you must be excited, and I'm trying to be excited for you, but.....LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is huge!!! I bet that makes lots of meals. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only around here the meat is venison and elk. I'd love to see a live moose again! There are supposed to be four on our mountain, but I haven't been privileged to see one yet. My dh did see a mountain lion about 12 miles from our house this week.


    Now, I need to read the rest of the moose story. Do you think you could post a pic of the moose antlers on your roof?!


    Carol

    ReplyDelete