Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Winter Gear or How to Enjoy the Great Outdoors and Not Freeze to Death

I don't know if I have ever broken down our outer gear for my blog readers. Keeping warm is very important to my wonderful husband and myself. Since we live in a winter wonderland, we must keep ourselves and our Blessings warm. Here is our handsome model wearing his winter gear after playtime outside.
This is the outer layers. The inner layers vary depending upon the temperature. Today the temp wash hovering around zero so I only added a fleece top since Benjamin was wearing a short sleeve shirt today.



Here are things layed out on the floor, mittens are best as they keep hands warmer. Just aren't so great for picking anything up, oh well!
It is difficult to see the turtle fur helmet mask but they things are great for wearing under a helmet or under a yazoo hat to keep the face and neck warm!

Here are our boots. I have black bunny boots and my husband and Elisabeth(hand me downs from big brother have white). White bunny boots are warmer than black, but I have never gotten cold in these boots. They are not pretty and I only wear them outside to play and ride snow machine. I also keep them in the van, just in case....

Here is another view of the yazoo (sp????) hat, we all have one of these but I would have to search high and low for mine. I have the nice fur hat that I wear around town and I have just fleece hats for playing outside.

Our family choice for travel. If we go anywhere in the van in the winter we have all of our winter gear with us. Each Blessing has his or her own bag and after the gear has hung by the wood stove to dry it is loaded into bags and in the back of the van. This is precautionary in case of breakdown or other unforeseen mishaps. Plus, if we are visiting a friend and the kids decide to go outside to play, we are set. Safety people, common sense people! (Oh, I think I have read a little too much  Lumberjack's wife lately...wait, I don't think there is such a thing as too much of her!)  It isn't always convenient but it sure is smart. That is what I should call my husband instead of wonderful husband, smart husband.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. You and your husband sound like Jeff & I. We spare no expense when it comes to winter gear & we take extra along on trips just in case. It doesn't matter what you look like, no one can see who is under all those clothes anyways. Survival in the frozen tundra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this. We'll keep it in mind if we ever move to the cold country. I know the key is to be dressed right. Why are the white bunnies warmer than black? Seems it would be the other way around. I saw some Sorrel-looking boots at REI in California last week. They wanted $400!!! I think we paid about $60 for mine back in the 1980's? Ow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were just reading yesterday about how the Eskimos in Barrow dress to go whale hunting 4 miles north of Barrow on the ice. They have some serious fur going on, too. We're reading Water Sky, by the way. Only on chapter 2, so I can't say if it is good or not. So far it is interesting, there is a mystery to solve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - I can't imagine living someplace that requires that much outerwear! Mainly because I'm so lazy I'm not sure I could always get myself to gather it up and bring it with me everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this post for me? ;) If we make it up there, I am afraid I might have to enlist you to take me shopping. Ask me how to survive a 100+ degree summer, I am your gal. Hurricane preparations? I have that down pat. I have NO smarts when it comes to winter gear. Muchas Gracias for the lesson!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Melissa. I got a kick out of your post --- your son wearing a short sleeve shirt in this weather. My boys run around the cabin in shorts and a thin shirt, and then just start piling on the outdoor gear --- alpaca socks, neck warmers, mittens, two hats and of course, the snow suits over the shorts. My legs would freeze in that, and it's not nearly as cold in our part of Alaska as it is where you live. That was a good post.
    Sally, the white bunny boots are much warmer because they are thicker and have more layers of insulation inside. They're heavier. I used to wear them when we lived in the interior and went out snow machining when it was 40 to 60 below zero. It doesn't get that cold here, so I don't wear them often anymore.

    ReplyDelete