Thursday, May 10, 2007

Our walk and what I have been waiting for

This afternoon the blessings and I went for a walk, I need to walk daily for exercise but do not make it every day, we walked to the mail box, which is a trek. Then made the loop back toward home and decided to go see if the pond was ice free yet (it is ice free close to shore but still has some ice in the middle). The pond is the product of an old gravel pit so there is a lot of high mounds of gravel piled up, the blessings had a blast climbing the rock piles and walking from pile to pile. The also had fun coming down! I wish I would have taken the camera, while I was standing there that is all I could think! Then we headed home and found a moose head laying off the road, yuck is all I can say, I did not want to take a picture of that. Then we headed home and finally planted some seeds tomato, beans, pumpkin, broccoli and sunflowers to germinate and start inside and direct planted spinach, peas, and some wildflower seeds, after we worked the bed a little. We will buy a few things from the green house but we will see what these will do, I have some pictures I will try to post tomorrow or Saturday.


Now, for the waiting for part. My son just came in excited about seeing the first snowshoe hare  or herethis spring, and wanted to journal it in his nature journal. I am thrilled about this and wondered if something like this would ever happen. I think some times I try to do things before they are ready. They will get there if I stand back and let it happen instead of making it happen. In fact, he got his journal only as no one else wanted to journal this, but all the journals were eventually asked for and journaled in!!! Yahoo!!


I use Book Cover this field guide most as it has our Alaska items specifically, but I also have Handbook of Nature Study by Anna Botsford Comstock as well. Handbook of Nature Study


Winter coat


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowshoe_Hare


Summer coat:



 Have you explored God's wonderful creation today?


May the Lord find us faithul.

4 comments:

  1. eclecticeducationMay 10, 2007 at 3:37 PM

    Ok, the moose head would really creep me out!!! :) The picture of the hares were neat though!!! They are especially pretty in the winter. That white coat is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your seeds do well. I live in Northern WI so also have a somewhat shortened growing season, though probably not as short as yours! We've started a few seeds as well. Way to go with the nature journaling. We're doing more of that this year - it's been neat seeing their interest grow! Take care!


    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely walk! Those are great pictures. Why would there be a moose head lying around? Are there wild animals who eat moose, but not their heads?

    Jenn

    PS. I have not forgotten your question about what we use to homeschool. I am working on a post or adding a list to my sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love that book!

    We have a bunny friend close by in the woods!

    Look for it on my post "bunny friend."

    ReplyDelete