Friday, May 11, 2007

Getting our hands dirty

Yesterday we planted seeds to keep inside and give them a head start


May2007010.jpg This is the Teaching tank, in it we planted some carrots so we can watch them grow and a pumpkin and tomato seed as well.


May2007011.jpg We also planeted some broccoli, pumpkin, green beans, sunflowers, and tomatoes to get them started sooner.


May2007014.jpg      May2007013.jpg  May2007012.jpg  May2007016.jpg


One blessing said, "This is more fun than just playing!" I liked that one!


And then today we went to the Institute of Arctic Biology Research Greenhouse at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. May2007018.jpg We saw some interesting tropical plants that they study and keep data on but the most interesting were the carnivorous plants seen here:


This one is commonly called cobra lily


May2007025.jpg                     May2007029.jpg


                                                                                                                   This is the famous venus flytrap


This one is an Alaskan carnivorous plant, it is very small and red, grows in boggy areas:


May2007022.jpg


Well, that was our past two days with plants and seeds, Oh, yeah, they transplanted marigolds as well,


May2007030.jpg        May2007038.jpg              May2007032.jpg


There, that was our day!! All done, we came home with take and bake pizza and are watching Seven Brides for Seven Brothers


May the Lord find us faithful.

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures! You're really getting the hang of it! I've seen those teaching tanks in the catalogs and always wondered how they looked in real life. They are really big! You must update the photo as the seeds grow!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Again! I put a brief list of our curriculum on my side bar just after my friends. It seems brief because I never start out using what I finish with! Does that happen to you? I am truly an eclectic! We even unschool science. I'd love to do nature journals. I think we will this year and I asked my DH if we could buy the nature book you mentioned and he said yes. I've seen it at co-op and think it is wonderful. Have a wonderful Mother's Day!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete