Saturday, June 25, 2011

Found my roll recipe

My wonderful husband, to whom I will have been married to for 18 years tomorrow, loves bread with his meals. I have not always had rolls for him for certain meals that for him need the bread factor, well no more. I found the roll recipe that he will love. Since I have been on this whole wheat/whole foods journey my husband hasn't complained, he just hasn't eaten everything I have tried. BUT, he will love these rolls and they are whole wheat. I have only had one bite to make sure they are good before telling on the blog world that they are good. They are good.
So, the original recipe is here but I am posting my changes here for you, because I believe in sharing.

Duggar Homemade Rolls, my version
Tuesday, June 21, 2011
8:45 PM
1/2 cup palm shortening
1/2 cup sugar (evaporated cane crystals)
1 tsp. salt
2 pkgs. Yeast, 2 TBSP.
5 cups whole wheat flour
2 eggs
2 cups hot water
1/2 cup melted butter

Combine the shortening, sugar, salt, yeast and 2 cups flour in mixer bowl and mix to combine the shortening with the flour mixture. (kind of like cutting in). Beat 2 eggs in a 2 cup measuring cup, then fill cup to the 2 cup mark with hot water; pour over dry mixture.
Add flour 1 cup at a time mixing in each cup well. Cover the bowl and let rise for 20 minutes. I leave in the Bosch work bowl and place lid on. Knead a couple more seconds in the bowl then turn out onto an oiled surface. Roll out into a large circle, like a pizza. Cut with a pizza cutter(or bench scraper) into 16 triangle shaped slices. Roll up from the wide end to the point and place on a greased cookie sheet (with sides). Let rise until double in size.
Bake in a 375 degree oven for 20-30 minutes. Immediately brush with butter when removed from the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment