Friday, June 17, 2011

The Doughnut Recipe

While my friend and I were making bread yesterday the doughnuts popped into my mind and I threw out the option of making doughnuts and thankfully my friend was game, so we made doughnuts!


Overnight Doughnuts
1 quart  milk
3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup honey
Scald milk, add butter and honey and stir until melted. Cool to 115-130 degrees. 

In a mixer bowl mix:
1 TBSP instant yeast
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg or cardamon, I use nutmeg
9 cups spelt or whole wheat flour
and then add the milk mixture and mix until "wet batter" like. At this point cover and place in the fridge overnight or knead a few more minutes for immediate use. Roll out 1/2 to 3/4 think, cut and allow to rise until doubled. Fry in oil 350-375 degrees about 3-4 minutes, turning once. Roll in sugar and enjoy.

Your toppings are up to you. Powdered sugar is easy and one of our favorites. We sometimes do cinnamon sugar and once I got really out there and made a chocolate dipping glaze, I think it was someone's birthday or something like that. This recipe is from a class I took that was called, "I Can't Believe it's not White Flour!!" A very well named class.

Hey Angela, good think I didn't read the rising part of this recipe yesterday, those doughnuts would have been huge!

3 comments:

  1. This would be a fun thing to try during Christmas break when sweets don't seem to be so hard to rationalize! At least for now, I am not going to be able to eat donuts. *boo, hoo* :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I will have try these on a future cheat day. [o= I love love love doughnuts and I have many childhood memories of my dad taking me out on a date for doughnuts at Winchell's.

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa,

    Can you send your email address as a comment to my blog? Don’t worry, I have comment
    moderation on, and I will NOT be posting your email address. Thank you.

    L. Rose

    ReplyDelete