Thursday, October 4, 2007

Nature Journals

I have so much to share but I will wait and maybe do a week in review post tomorrow night. Today, nature journals. There is so much about a Charlotte Mason education that I love and yet so much that seems so difficult in actually "doing". Slowly though I am getting it. Like dictation, I do not understand why these things alude me... they are simple and straight forward but I still need to have the "ah-ha" moment. Nature journaling has also been a challenge for me. We use Character Sketches for Bible; it includes an animal study with each chapter. (Someone has loaned these to us until we have completed them) Duh, how easy to do in the winter when most of our nature is white. What a natural thing to do. So, today we broke out the nature journals. I have had them in the past do an animal report fill out page but how dull and then I feel we have not completed it if we do not fill out every space. This is much nicer. Every day we will add sentences and/or more drawings until the chapter is completed.


Here are our pages for today: We studied the Ruby-Throated Hummingbird, this was nice for us as we do not have the ruby-throated hummingbird in our area. We can learn about it and journal about this bird. Have you seen a ruby-throated hummingbird at your house? They live in the eastern 2/3 of the United States and they migrate from southern Canada all the way to Central America and they only weigh about as much as a copper penny.


http://www.arlington.k12.va.us/schools/williamsburg/staff/thendric/animals_shenandoah/3rd/Noa_Natalia/index.html


Mom's


October2007021.jpg picture by kaysmarmey


Blessing #2


October2007022.jpg picture by kaysmarmey


 


Blessing#1


October2007023-1.jpg picture by kaysmarmey


And blessing #3


October2007024.jpg picture by kaysmarmey


May the Lord find us faithful.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice journals. I love hummingbirds.


    Blessings,

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks fantastic. Way to go! You are a pro! (That rhymes!) OK, please go to rockyridge. I am stressing out!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have many outside my kitchen window at any given time. I don't know why. I mean, we do have one hummingbird feeder but I've done nothing special to attract them. They are the most darling little creatures ever.


    i have to tell you, I am *so envious* of your snow :) May I ask if you've always lived in Alaska? and what your dh does for work? I'm just curious; you don't have to answer. I just know from a couple in our church that were stationed in Alaska that the cost of living is high and the work is sparse (or was, when they were there)


    Enjoy the white stuff!

    ReplyDelete