Thursday, February 22, 2007

Pitiful, pitiful

I was absolutely exhausted when I got home this afternoon. I had to take a nap. I did get up two hours earlier than normal to make sure everything was prepped and ready to go. So, I am thankful for the wonderful husband that sees it important enough that I stay home, and he lets the blessings stay home too. We just love it here!! I had at least two of my blessings tell me today that they are glad we stay home. There's no place like home.


Now to question answering:   We do have a wonderful growing season, not exactly long but we have lots of sun when it is growing season. We have not had a garden much since the blessings came along BUT we are planning a hum-dinger this year. We usually grow potatoes, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, cabbage, peas, I have had some success in the past with bush beans. I am planning on that being a big summer project with the blessings and a big part of summer school. We also have quite a few wild berries in the area, raspberries especially here around our yard. But there are blueberries, nangoon berries(raspberry family) and lowbush cranberries not too far away. Wild roses grow everywhere around the edges of our yard. I will have lots of photos to add to the blog this summer. Here is one from last May when my Mom was up for a visit. The hostas are an experiment. They sell them here (obviously) but they have a 50/50 chance of survival. So, I eagerly wait for spring to see how they faired the winter. I mulched them well, so only time will tell. Also, Wild Irises grow wonderfully here and I have them in the bed as well as ferns that grow wild in some areas. may2006063.jpg My Mom is coming again this May and we are all counting the days until she will be here!!!


I had already planned on some sort of year around school to keep things going, we are here anyway. And it would not be horribly mean to have them do a little every morning before they jet out the door for a full day of play.  Also, I think entries in their nature journal from our gardening expedition would be fantastic.


I will probably be away from the computer all day tomorrow, family day!! See ya later.


May the Lord find us faithful.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a good picture of Nana and the kids. It makes me excited about spring. It will be happening before long. It is getting light now at 7am. AMEN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi There! Over the weekend I was thinking about life in Alaska and was wondering if houses there have to be built better to withstand the weather than here? Our house is 4 years old. I watched them build it and to me it seems not very well insulated,although they claim it to be a 5 Star Energy Efficient home. Do you have higher standards in Alaska?

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete