Tuesday, June 12, 2007

An information request

I have some ideas floating around in my head. Kim posted about a Beatix Potter birthday party at the end of July. That got me to thinking. I do not do enough of the little special things with my blessings. I always seem to be busy cleaning or cooking or something else. I just always seem busy, yet we lead a fairly simple life so this perplexes me at times. So, my request. Could you wonderful ladies out there share the little things you do, ie. picnics, tea party decor and menus, plays,etc. I am planning on coming up with my own ideas as well, but some springboard, tried and true ideas would be helpful as well. I am really thinking more of this for my girls but my son will enjoy as well.


May the Lord find us faithful.

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see the ideas offered here. I share your frustration about missing out on the fun stuff that cherished memories are made from, because of constant "doing" daily life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggle in this area too. I find that when we are out of the house, I can do more special things with them. Baking is special to them. Making cookies or pancakes seems to be their favorite thing to do. I confess that I do not do a lot with them. I think Grace would love it if I played with her doll house more often. Let us know what others say. I need help too!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, good questions Jenn, I've often wondered that myself.


    For special things, we do a lot of girly girl stuff here. Tea parties - just within the last couple of years, I have really gotten into gradually collecting antique glass luncheon plates & matching cups and tea pots and pretty serving dishes for our special days. We also have reading times of girly girl stuff, like the Girlhood Companion magazine during tea time. We make spiced tea in the winter; we also cook together, make & decorate gingerbread cookies or scones. Something that was very special is our 12, turning 13 year old dd wanted more than anything, money for her birthday gifts so she could go shopping. So that is what she got - then we went shopping. I reserved the whole day for the girls, especially the birthday girl, with no agenda except what/where they wanted to do/go. It gave me great joy to just sitting back and watching them try on clothes and being "grown up". I guess a lot of it is just putting aside my own busy-ness and reserving my whole day and attention just for them! It could be as simple as a walk or taking them to the park; sometimes I just have a girls play/gab day and invite a bunch of their friends over to play, sometimes its just going out to the barn together to care for their horse or watch the chickens; or laying in bed with them and just letting them jabber. It's all about giving them my undivided attention that is really special.

    ReplyDelete