Saturday, March 13, 2010

What I have been doing

Besides keeping my children home and away from other people(we have left home three days in a row for quick, mommy run in errands), I have been enjoying a little extra working around the house, soaking whole wheat flour and baking, and washing bedding.

I have been baking bread with this recipe (doubled) for a few weeks now. I recently started soaking overnight before making bread. This is what I do. I put the flour and about 2-3 Tablespoons of yogurt, yogurt whey, or vinegar (or I use 1/2 cup buttermilk to make my 2 cups liquid measurement) which leaves me 1/2 liquid leftover for later.
The next day when I am ready to make bread, I put 1/2 cup warm water, the yeast, honey or sugar in a measuring cup  and stir to combine. I place this mixture in with the flour and the remaining ingredients and let the dough hook do its work. I let the dough rest in a covered bowl for a bit and then put into bread pans and let rise, for quite a while. Bake and enjoy yummy bread.
What I have found:

  • it takes the dough longer to rise



  • it takes the  longer to bake (take its temperature, bake until 180 degrees)



  • if I soak the flour I will make the bread, cinnamon rolls, pancakes, waffles, etc. 

  • I am still learning


I have been wanting to make granola for a couple of months now, I don't know why it takes me so long to do things.
What I did: 
I put:

  • 3 cups oats



  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds

  • 2/3 cup pecans, chopped

  • 2/3 cups almonds, chopped

  • 1/4 cup flax seeds

  • 1/3 cup wheat germ


in a baking pan and toasted them while I put:

  • 1 cup honey

  • 1/2 cup brown sugar or  Rapadura 

  • 2 Tbsp. butter

  • 2 tsp. vanilla (add at the end)


in a pan on the stove to heat. Poured this over the oats and added dried cherries, cranberries and golden raisins. Stirred and baked until heated, probably about 30 minutes(I didn't time it and I did almost burn it!)

Then, I made chewy granola bars from a recipe from my grain co-op. I will definitely make them again. All the kids liked those.


Now, what is for dinner?

4 comments:

  1. This looks like a good recipe. I am going to try it. I also make my own granola since we have been on a more limited budget -- so much yummier and healthier than the store bought kind.


    Thanks for friending my blog. I did the same.


    Blessings,

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your first line about keeping your kids home away from other people! That is a worthy goal. :-)

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. The granola sounds yummy.


    I make a whole wheat bread without any dough conditioner or potato. The recipe is from the Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book. The key to the breads in the book are the long rises. Actually, the rises are divided into three rises altogether (this acts to condition the bread). I do the buttermilk bread which has 1 1/4 cups of buttermilk. I don't soak it overnight, but it's about a six hour rise altogether, so I think it reduces the phytate levels similarly to an overnight soak.


    I've also made the pure sourdough (1/2 rye, 1/2 wheat) from Nourishing Traditions, which I really like. My family really likes the buttermilk one for sandwich bread, however. The whole book (Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book) is a fascinating read if you ever get a chance to read it. It uses commercial yeast for all it's recipes, but it puts the pieces together regarding what makes a good whole grain bread.


    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. The granola recipe looks great. Like you, for several months I have been telling myself that "one of these days" I'm going to try it. I decided that later tonight I'd look up a recipe and give it a go tomorrow. Glad I found this one!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete