Monday, February 11, 2008

From grain to bread and air flow

I received a much waited for gift for Christmas this year, this grain mill. (Thank you Mom)


 


January2008055.jpg picture by kaysmarmey


Here is the grain (Prairie Gold)


January2008054.jpg picture by kaysmarmey


Freshly milled flour


January2008057.jpg picture by kaysmarmey


Rising and almost ready for the oven, these loaves have ground flax seed added


January2008061.jpg picture by kaysmarmey


That is the last picture in the process. I guess when these loaves came out of the oven I had moved on to something else and forgot about more pictures.


Now for a little science, we are using Apologia Elementary Science Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day and we had an experiment to learn about air flow/bird wings, etc. Here are the pictures.


January2008074.jpg picture by kaysmarmey


January2008071.jpg picture by kaysmarmey


January2008072.jpg picture by kaysmarmey


It took a few tries to get the angle correct but they got it and soon water was coming up out of the straw that was in the water (and all over the table and dining room/computer room/music room/sewing room (that is one busy room)).


I know, I know, I said in the Thursday post I would post pictures from sweetheart's birthday, the camera has yet to be emptied of pictures and we have just had "bigger fish to fry" this weekend. So, maybe soon. These pictures were already downloaded and waiting to be posted.


May the Lord find us faithful.

6 comments:

  1. We did that experiment not too long ago! The kids had a blast with that one, 'cuase it's messy. HA! I've been contemplating a grain mill. I'm not even sure where I would get the grain though, so it'll take some more research on my part. I'll be anxiously awaiting more info on the mill. How easy is it to use? How expensive is the grain? Details, woman, details. ;-) Oh, and Happy Birthday to O!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A grain mill? How cool! :) That experiment looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I made some bread yesterday. They ate the entire loaf at dinner. So I must make more today! Oh, and I have another Alaska question. We were watching the Weather Channel's show When Weather Changed History, the one about the doctor needed to be taken from Antarctica in -50 temperatures. They said the planes could not take off because the fuel would freeze at that temperature. Does that happen in Alaska when it is -60 like it has been lately?

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bread looks yummy - even unbaked. :) And it looks like the kiddo had fun with the experiment - the messier the better! We don't do well with experiments - we understand the principle, but rarely can we make them work. I'm NO Bill Nye the Science Guy. Glad to see it is a little warmer there! Happy Valentines Day Melissa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great gift! The bread looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's me again. How long does it take to grind the wheat? I was thinking about that and I think I need a mill for Mother's Day or Easter!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete