Monday, November 14, 2011

Recipes and How I Roll

Okay, just to give you a peek into my crazy kitchen or maybe my brain, here I will post a recipe and then how I make the recipe and how it turns out.

This recipe comes to me from Pa-Pa, who got the recipe from her Aunt Helen.

Sweet Potato Casserole
3 cups yams (cooked until boiling)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup milk
1/2 stick butter
1 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs, beaten
Mix all together until well mixed.
Topping:  
1/2 cup flour
1/2 stick butter, softened
1 cup nuts
1 cup light brown sugar
Mix with fork and crumble on top of potatoes and bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour. 


Now what I do: 
I do not measure the amount of sweet potatoes I use. I peel and chop the sweet potatoes, usually about 5-7. I do not double anything in the recipe for the potatoes. 
I double the topping and place in a 9 X 13 pan or larger. When making for Thanksgiving I use the disposable half size pans from Sam's Club.
So, I can't write my own recipes but I can mess with what others have done before me.

4 comments:

  1. Messing with recipes is my favortie past time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and it is going to taste so good on Thanksgiving day! WE ARE COMING TO YOUR HOUSE! Happy dance!!! I'm excited. Lynn

    PS
    We'll have the two guys. One is Adam that has visited there. He's a nurse. The other is someone that moved here to work on planes. He's VERY quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww, this is making me miss you even more then I already do =(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious...I look forward to trying it...probably for the Saturday after Thanksgiving when we will probably do a get-together with Jeff's side of the family...everything is a wait & see there because Jeff's mom is undergoing radiation for cancer and we will see how she feels.

    ReplyDelete