Tuesday, November 22, 2011

No Big Thanksgiving Day Meal?

You know how sometimes you know the Lord is preparing you for something but you have no idea what or when? Well, I have not been in a Thanksgiving big meal, clean the house well, work long hours making very yummy special Thanksgiving foods mood at all. My husband even found an airline deal back in October and wanted to plan a trip to visit the family in the lower 48 and I tried real diligently to work out tickets for November so we could have a southern fall and Thanksgiving time with family. We have had one thanksgiving with family in eighteen years. Well, the November flights just would not work out at all and we decided that traveling with Benjamin in the spring would be a little easier with him just a few months older.
This brings us to yesterday, A -35 degreeish Monday morning. We began our day as usual with our morning school work, an early lunch and then to drop off the boys to play at the D's while the girls and I went to get our hair cut.(sidebar here, I love the internet and the fact that we can meet very wonderful new friends online that become real life friends) After the hair cut we visited for a bit and then I took my very nap deprived boy and his older sibs to reduce the noise and child level at the D's house by half! As we pulled into the garage I could hear the phone ringing. Oh the ringing phone, often bringing happiness and then, like yesterday, the bad news. My husband's dad is not doing well and he received the call to come home and when that call comes we must act fact as it takes a while to get there. My husband went ahead and worked on his plane ticket at work before coming home, it is much quieter there than here! Praise the Lord, he was able to get an airmiles ticket for most of this trip and only having to purchase a ticket for the last leg of his flight.
Oh, that man, he came home with a birthday cake (I wondered why it had taken him so long to arrive home after he called to say he was heading home) and was determined to have my birthday party a day early since he would be gone today, today I turn 41(age is just a number). So, when we look back at the pictures from this birthday we will have bittersweet memories and red puffy eyes all around.
So, why all this jabber? I don't know but I do that we decided not to carry on with the big Thanksgiving Day gathering that we usually do and I am actually fine with that. What are we going to do? I am not sure but we have a few options. We might take up an offer of dinner with  friends or we might just stay home, cook up our ham and save the turkey for our official Thanksgiving when Dad returns home, and make the Blessings their favorite foods from our Thanksgiving menu and watch football, movies and play games. At this point, I have no idea but I am thankful for the Lord preparing my heart because He knows what I need and He is my COMFORT.
And it has warmed up to -15 or -20 today, I might just let the kids take me out for dinner at those warm temperatures!
My father-in-law is scheduled for surgery tomorrow and I am thankful that my husband will be there in time for the surgery.
One day at a time and sometimes one hour at a time...
Just a side note: Last year on my birthday we had 40 degree above zero temps and then we had freezing rain somewhere in there and the roads were horrible and remained horrible for the rest of the winter...maybe next year I will just skip my birthday!

5 comments:

  1. Oh girl...I am praying. Happy B-day, my friend! I hope today brings you a little blessing or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! So sorry for the issues with your husbands dad. I have had those times before too, knowing the lord is preparing me for something, just don't know what. Glad He had you prepared for this. I think saving the turkey until dad gets home sounds great. I know that's what we would do. I pray that the surgery goes well. And with those temps, please keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, again (it bears repeating)- you certainly look much younger than 41...I would have never guessed. Thanksgiving day can be any day, as long as you all are together. I pray journey mercies for your husband as well. ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I definitely thought you were younger than me (which is younger than 40). Alaska air does you good :) I tell everyone that I look young because of all that New England air! lol

    I'm sorry to hear about your father-in-law. Praying that he gets well and so glad that your husband has worked out the flights, etc. to be there for surgery!

    We've had similar circumstances - trying to work out a way to get away for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas; trying to figure out what we can do to avoid staying where we're at..nothing is working out which tells me the Lord must just want us to give in and see what HE has in store for us!

    btw, got the book. Thought it was neat to see a North Pole post mark ;-) Have a happy Thanksgiving, no matter how you spend it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'd do the same if I were in your situation. It's not the actual day, but the spirit. I am glad your husband got to his father in time. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete