Friday, November 4, 2011

Biscuits

 

101_5300

 

Since beginning my quest for all things whole grain, I have unfortunately failed in the biscuit department. The good news is that I am now on my way. I have tried a few different recipes with little or no success. Then, last week, my Blessings and I were planning to invade and increase the noise at the Queen of Brussels Sprouts home. Since we were going and I had unsuccessfully attempted Kendra’s southern biscuits. (Shame on this southern born woman but not too much shame, these are whole wheat and what southern woman makes whole wheat biscuits? None that I know of, now biscuits made with White Lily Self-Rising flour, a totally different story). Back to the biscuits. That morning I ground up some soft white pastry wheat berries and took the flour with me to Kendra’s home. I watched her make those biscuits and low and behold they turned out just like mine….it was my flour!

Fast forward a few days and I try again at home. This time I used flour that I had ground from Prairie Gold white wheat berries and I put the biscuits closer together and I think they turned out pretty great. So, that pastry flour might be great for cookies, quick breads and anything else but it is not that great for biscuits. Now I know. 

5 comments:

  1. So glad you found a way for them to work for you. They sound and look very yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you found a recipe that works for you. The biscuits look very yummy from the photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I am totally having to change up almost all of my baking recipes to suit up here. I would never have thought it would be such a difference. Super glad you figured out the biscuit balance!! Yipee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!!! I want them now...all of them. I decided to try to eat just veggies this week...I've made it through Day 1, 6 more to go. Why do I do these kind of things to myself? They look great. Glad you got the flour thing worked out. I just had a break-thru with my bread machine too...it's nice when things turn out...finally.

    ReplyDelete