Thursday, July 29, 2010

Camping weekend

We loaded up the truck and headed down the road for some camping and fishing. Sorry for the blurry picture.
Photobucket

Daddy and the kids set up the tent. We had the slide in camper but we wanted to tent camp as well.
Photobucket

My wonderful husband and I have had this tent for almost our whole marriage. He likes that it is tall enough inside so he can stand up!
Photobucket

Of course we took Emmy, our chocolate lab. She isn't a pretty lab but she is a good dog. And she travels really well.
Photobucket

Our campsite, pretty remote...we did have outhouses near by and a couple of hand pumps were in the campground for water. That is it.
Photobucket

By the time we packed everyone up and drove to our destination and set up the tent, it was time to eat. After dinner and cleaning up and a little time outside it was bedtime for Benjamin. We were planning a campfire but it began to raining. Once Benjamin was asleep, Dad and the big blessings played Dutch Blitz. I knitted while sitting up on the top bed with the sleeping baby. I finished one dish cloth and started and finished a second while on this trip.
Photobucket

The next day we got up and had a pancake breakfast (and a clean up of spilled pancake batter! OOPS!) No pictures of breakfast. And while Dad prepared fishing poles and other items, I prepared sandwiches and snacks and drinks for a day on the water. Don't you get hungry while on the water? Benjamin did!
Our captain and fearless leader.
Photobucket

Kids ashore to explore and fish from the bank.
Photobucket

It wasn't all pretty!
Photobucket
But we had a great day, Benjamin enjoyed boating.

Dad and a few blessings around and ON his back. Benjamin had a good nap while Daddy fished.
Photobucket

The Ergo has been one of the best things we have purchased. I wish I would have known about these with my other three. Life is good with baby on the back.
Photobucket

My 12 year old son, is growing up and gettting so handsome.
Photobucket

After baby woke up we had lunch and then we fished a little more.
Baby ate his lunch and anything else he could get from everyone else.
Photobucket

Helping Dad fish...Benjamin did this on his own.
Photobucket

After we came ashore and had dinner it was nice enough for a campfire. This was a huge Daddy sacrifice for my husband as he does not build campfires. But he did this one for the kids. They had smores and we attempted to pop some jiffy pop but the fire was too hot and it burned before it popped!
Photobucket
Do you know that my husband and I do not like smores? We really don't. We didn't have smores with the kids. I took pictures and Dad monitored the fire and Benjamin.
Photobucket

See the gray skies? It began raining after the kids had smores and it rained all night. Guess who had tent duty that night? Yep, me!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Monitoring!
Photobucket

Baby smores, al a carte.
Photobucket

My husband got a much needed haircut when we got home!

Photobucket


Photobucket

My husband's newest addition to the camping gear, a camp oven. He says it works well and he used it twice on the trip as the slide in camper only has a stove top.
Photobucket

Bringing the boat in to load on the trailer to head home.
Photobucket

And we often had a guest on our trip, her name was Annabelle. She is loosely based upon a character from Caddie Woodlawn . She was from Boston and she liked to take siestas. Obviously, she travels much.
Photobucket
And Benjamin enjoyed playing with my travel pillow for a bit on the way home. That is for the short time he was a wake.
Photobucket

Then the dreaded part of the trip...unpacking the camper and putting it all away. We all worked together and got unpacked and put away and then we all took nice hot showers or baths and went to bed!
The end.

2 comments:

  1. Love it!!!! OK, I am so jealous. We are friends, so I can tell you that. I can't tent camp right now because it is soooo hot and humid. And the bugs eat us alive. We are going to try a cabin this weekend instead of the tent so we can have fans galore. I love the senery where you were. It' so lovely. How far did you have to drive? Just splendid that you had such a lovely lady traveling with you. I hope she enjoyed the roughing it! She might of preferred a tea party with that adorable hat. :-) Glad you posted before I leave town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you all had a great trip. It was fun to read about it. Makes me want to camp again (kind of). The wet does put a damper on things, and we don't have a tent. I'll be taking a roughing it trip with my oldest daughter the end of August. I've never seen a camp stove before, but we have a dutch oven...not quite the same.

    ReplyDelete