Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Open House Post



I think that the Homeschool Open House idea by Tiany is a fantastic idea.  So, here goes my post......



  • Intro-- We are a Christian family striving to raise blessings that will serve the Lord in complete surrender. I have a teaching degree but have not worked outside of the home since I had my first blessing 9 years ago. That said, I have three blessings, 9, 7, and almost 6(5 1/2 if you ask her!) We have homeschooled from the beginning, it was a natural flow for us. This post gives my intro from one of my first posts here at hsb. 

  • What does our day look like? My goal is to rise before the blessings and shower and spend time reading the Bible and praying. I do not always meet my goal but I try and seem to be getting a little better. Once the blessings wake up, we have breakfast and I check email and read blogs or post on my blog. (I love that whole adding /friends to the end of your blogs url and reading all updated blogs on my friends list, a real time saver) For all non-hsb blogs I subscribe to blog lines and read them all in one place as well. Double time saver and that will come in handy when we get back to a full school schedule.  After breakfast the blessings get ready for their day and have three chores each to complete. Then we sit down together for Bible and prayer and then get into the school work of the day. I am not so concerned with teaching my children things but teaching them the Word of God, teaching them to be Christ like, I am more concerned with their spiritual education.  We have completely switched to Ambleside Online beginning with this summer. I do how ever use Mystery of History for history and Apologia Science as well. I am really looking forward to getting into this school year and we will get back into the school routine after my Mom's visit next week. I try to spend as little money as possible and use the library as much as possible, as well as the internet. I think the internet is my most used school tool.

  • Schedule-- I cannot seem to schedule to the minute or the hour. We have a routine and things happen in a fairly sequential order, just not a timed down to the second thing.

  • Where do we school? At this time we school in the dining room. When we are able to get a different couch (right now we have a huge sectional and only one real way to arrange the room) I have a plan to get a table and have our school time in there with the couch since we do a lot of read alouds. That way everything  and everyone can be in one room. (This is my dream and I am unsure when it will come to pass) So, for now we school mainly at the dining room table.

  • My must share tip-- This one is for the Mom's, continue to educate yourself.  I am not suggesting going to college  but self education. (One of my goals for my blessings is for them to learn to learn. I do not have a goal of teaching them every thing there is to know. Just for them to know how to learn. ) Take up a hobby, research educational methods and philosophies, sew, knit, crochet, bake, etc. Always be in the habit of reading and learning something. Keep busy so that when your blessings leave your home you are prepared as well as they are prepared for the next step in their lives.


Well, I think that is it for this post. I could go on and on about home education for many posts but I will stop here for now.


May the Lord find us faithful.

27 comments:

  1. I love the tip about educating yourself. That is so true and I started doing that again this year (practicing the piano and reading a non-self help book).

    Blessings,

    4sweetums

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for allowing us to visit your open house! I agree that we need to continue to educate ourselves. It gives our kids another example to follow. Good luck in the coming year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems that you and I have a lot of the same thoughts. I agree that it is so important that we constantly be learning. Our kids need to see that learning is a life-long adventure, not just something that's done from 9-3 until you are 18. Great post - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing with us =)


    Blessings,

    Theresa

    #14 on the list =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the tip! We have adopted that attitude at our home! You are never too old to learn!


    Be Blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. for sharing. Your tip about always learning is so important! I enjoyed your post.


    ~Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your must share tip. It's so true. Thanks for the reminder. Good to hear from you, dear! ;-)

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your homeschool! Thanks for the mom tip too, that's great stuff.


    God Bless

    Jess~

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have some great links listed! I plan to check them all out in more detail later. Thanks!! KatieBug

    # 32 on the list

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing your homeschool with us and thanks for dropping by my blog. I completely agree about continue learning ourselves. The kids are always watching me to see what else I have learned. We are studing the paino together and they really enjoy that.


    Thanks again.

    Many blessings,

    Lynn (mcgyver959701) Camelot Homestead Academy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for participating in the Open House! It has been such fun putting it together and this is the icing on the cake for me, visiting you all! Wonderful post!


    When you get a chance please email me so I can get some gifts to you! :-)


    Hugs & Blessings,

    Tiany

    Tiany@cox.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed hearing about your homeschool days!! Great tips too!


    Kelli

    www.kellishouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stopping by your open house! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. homeschoolingmommaof4August 2, 2007 at 5:30 AM

    I really enjoy getting a glimpse into other people's homeschool. Thanks for inviting us.


    Have a great year!

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing your homeschool with me and for stopping by my blog. This is so much fun! Your school sounds wonderful.


    blessings,

    dani

    ReplyDelete
  17. thank you for sharing. (0=


    I fully agree with you for Mom's never to stop learning. I am always trying to learn and expand my horizons. If it be how to teach better , prepare lessons, or expanding my skills in my hobbies.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the peek into your homeschool. We too are using Mystery of History and Apologia Science, and are loving both. God's blessings to your homeschool!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sharing your homeschooling day with us. I enjoy read alouds with my kids. I completely agree with you that we should continuing learning. I have worked on learning to sew, crochet and knit. I also love to read and read as much I can find time to.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  20. "May the Lord find us faithful!" is what we use to "sign off" our e-mails and prayer letters. I just typed it into the web and "poof" your link came up! I'm wondering where you came up with the phrase "May the Lord find us faithful!"? I chose it because it's a beautiful song from Mac and Beth Lynch. We too are homeschoolers (for 14 years now) serving Christ in Spain. Ben & Tammi

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing your homeschool with us! :)


    ~Lynn #60 on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for telling us about your family and homeschool. I loved your tip about teaching ourselves - one of my favorite reasons for homeschooling is to get the education I never had, so to speak. Blessings to your family!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are so right! My goal is to teach them to learn on their own too. Then they can really take off in the direction that God wants to take them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I enjoyed reading your post. Yours is the first one I read that included "your" blog time. Wise woman!

    I love the /friends/ thing too! and bloglines as well.


    Because of Jesus, Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the tip about educating ourselves. I don't think I have ever learned so much in my life than when I started to research homeschooling. Wow! once I started to do a little research, I got bitten by the research bug. All the things I used to wonder about, I am now looking up.

    I agree with you about teaching your kids how to learn. My husband and I have many conversations about this. We do not care if they know how tall mount Everest is as long as they know how to find out the information.


    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  26. We are using MOH and Apologia also! Ambleside Online looks like such a great program too. (I have looked over it so many times!)


    Thanks for sharing!

    http://theshadesofpink.blogspot.com/2007/08/homeschool-open-house.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great tip! I also find a routine to be more helpful than a strict schedule, it keeps the day more flexible!

    ReplyDelete