Friday, May 13, 2011

Looks Can Be Deceiving

If you walked into our home right now you would wonder where school happens. As the Blessings grow older we are working on a more independent approach. Each Blessings has an assignment folder with weekly assignments listed. Some subjects they must do daily; like Bible, piano practice and spelling. Other subjects are given a weekly minimum number of pages for the week, such as math. Some subjects run a little more assignment specific; such as, science, writing and history. I am still working out the scheduling kinks and plan to have my parts organized by the fall. One thing with this way is that I must have certain things ready to go so that keeps me accountable.
Back to right now, Elisabeth is practicing piano, Levi is working on I think history in his room and Judith is working on her writing assignment for the week. Benjamin is tucked into my bed for a nap. Not your traditional looking education environment but much learning is going on here, even on this Friday afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. My oldest gets her assignments from me first thing, and any instruction needed for new topics. Then she is off to wherever (room, outside, floor, couch) to do her work. She comes to me with questions, but that is it. I LOVE this stage. The littles are still very much in my lap for learning, but it will come....

    ReplyDelete
  2. As kids get older, I think how school looks changes. We don't have one area the kids do school, it just depends on who's doing what on where they do it. Sounds like your kids are going great. :)

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete