Monday, July 28, 2014

Back to Alaskan Life-Berry Picking Has Begun


With all of the rain we have had this summer the mushrooms are everywhere and they are huge. I really wish I knew my shrooms so I could harvest some.


Nagoonberries are ripe and I picked tonight until I could no longer stand the mosquitoes and my back yelled for mercy. These babies grow on the ground and picking isn't the most fun, but they are berries and berries make jelly and well, my crew eats a lot of jelly. Tomorrow we will look for raspberries but tonight I got a start with nagoonberries. 

I had to take a picture of how I kept sane while picking. The mosquitoes are plentiful this year, as in I haven't seen mosquitoes like this in years. Hood up and long pants for evening picking. 

The berries 
These babies grow on the edge of our yard, so the picking is convenient.

We have a few raspberry plants in our yard so I picked those as I went along. I will make a mixed berry jelly so combining berries isn't a big deal. I took this picture to show the difference between the raspberries, on the left and the nagoonberries.

I wore the wrong shoes but I survived. As soon as I took the picture these mosquitoes were dead. 

News alert: tomorrow is supposed to reach seventy degrees, I pray the forecast is correct. I need sun and warmer and so does the garden. 

No comments:

Post a Comment