Friday, April 22, 2011

Whole Wheat Bread Recipe

 This recipe is my variation of Marilyn Moll of Urban Homemakers recipe.


Whole Wheat Bread  (this is a large batch for a Bosch mixer)
2 TBSP. white vinegar (acts as a dough enhancer)
 about 6 cups warm water
2/3 c. honey or sorghum or 1/2 c. granular sugar (I used evaporated cane juice crystals or sucanat)
2/3 c. oil (could use olive oil, coconut oil, or even butter, etc.)
3 TBSP instant yeast
2/3 cup each gluten, potato flakes, dry milk
2 TBSP salt
12-20 cups whole wheat flour (I add about 10-12 cups and begin mixing and then add until I know it is enough but not stiff, when the sides of the mixing bowl are clean) 




I also add a few Tablespoons of ground flax seed when I remember.




Place the 2 TBSP vinegar into the measuring cup and add water to the cup to fill to 6 cups. 
Add all ingredients into the mixer with dough hook and mix for about six minutes.  I dump this out onto my large cutting board that has been oiled and then cover with a towel to rise about 30-45 minutes. Shape into loaves and place in oiled or sprayed pans and cover again to rise. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. I get about 5-6 loaves out of this recipe.


There is some learning curve when working with whole wheat flour. I have had my grain mill now for a few years and then I threw myself a curve ball by purchasing the Bosch mixer and having to find a new recipe that worked for the larger capacity mixer. 

When I had my KitchenAid mixer I used this recipe for bread. Scroll down for the recipe. I doubled this recipe, which made two loaves.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so good. I have a kitchen aid mixer, so I will be looking into that recipe soon. I need to buy some gluten one of these days. I know it would help it rise some. Right now we have dense little loaves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So which do you like better...Bosch or Kitchen Aid? I should invest in a new mixer, I have a smaller, but powerful mixer...but the beaters just didn't hold up to even regular cookie dough...they are all bent out of shape & just barely work. I don't mind doing bread by hand, but have been working with some larger recipes and it really gives my arms a workout.

    ReplyDelete