Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Regaining the Home

For sometime now we have been using  Managers of Their Chores. I really have always looked for some way to teach the kids accountability, work ethic and something to help them realize how messy we all are and that we all have to help clean up. I personally need something that also keeps me accountable. We have used charts, stickers, lists, chore notebooks, etc. I looked at this book for some time before I decided to make my purchase, I am a book snob, I must really like a book before I will spend my money on such a thing. I did quite a bit of research.  I bought and read the book and made our first batch of chore cards. We were off and going until some of the Blessings started with the "I know my chore pack so I don't need to wear it". So, I get the chore pack and start going through the cards and checking things with them. Guess what??? They didn't know their chore pack like they thought. We had to go through a few weeks of that (I don't know where they get their hardheadedness?) struggle until we got it through to them that they did need the chore pack and that we would decide when they were responsible enough to give up wearing the chore pack. Honestly, I think some of mine might be wearing them on their wedding day. Just thinkin' maybe.

Then we got used to the chore packs and I failed to add any new chore cards or times, plus I wanted to have some rotating jobs so that some Blessings could learn some new jobs.

I finally got around to making new schedules and chore cards....now we have a morning rountine pack, which honestly some could stop using, we will have to test and see soon. We have an 11:30 chore pack. 11:30 chore pack consists of things like emptying the dishwasher, taking out trash, bringing in wood and giving a floor or two a dust mop. I have tried to keep this list short and it is part of our lunch break from school.

We now have just added the 4:00 chore pack. Why the times? The times help me stop when we need to stop. 11:30 for instance, Benjamin is getting hungry, tired and needs to move. So, I make lunch and get Benjamin started on his lunch while the kids are working on chore packs. 4:00 is about an hour before dinner and we need to get thing in order for the evening and clean up all that we have drug out throughout the day. The 4:00 chore pack has been designed to focus on one room every day. That room gets picked up, straightened up and some light cleaning. For example, today was the kitchen's day. Someone cleaned the lid and outside of the garbage can while someone else cleaned out one shelf of the fridge and one straightened something else, then someone vacuumed rugs, someone else the floor and someone ended up with mopping. I supervised, taught and did a few little things that I normally wouldn't have gotten to today. So, their chores really help me take care of some of my chores as well. 

This is not a review, just sharing what is working for us right now!

Now I must feed the crew!

4 comments:

  1. I have & have read the book. I like anything that Titus 2 puts out. Being my girls are older, we didn't do the chorepack thing, but a chart. Our girls do well, except for the garbage thing is always something hard to remember for some reason. Our girls love schedules and routines, but I tell you, sometimes it's the death of me. I have more of the problem of teaching them flexability. Someday we may reach a balance...and then again, maybe not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane,
    I tell you , I am the biggest problem these wonderful children have. I have great intentions but...you know the rest. I am determined to create that Haven of rest for them here on earth. I must be the example!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Groan... This sounds awesome. If only I could be diligent and consistent. I am a total failure at schedules and plans. The kids do chores here... like I do. Whenever. I wonder how I ever got to work on time when I was working outside the home?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often wonder how I survived as well. I now say that I could never have an office job because my desk at home is always messy and I would get fired for a messy desk, but would my workplace desk be messy? That is convicting to me!
    And what little I do manage through the week is a direct result of their chore packs which make me do certain things.

    ReplyDelete