Friday, January 26, 2007

Housekeeping

 I am attempting to make up for my lack of reading in my younger years and also in preparing to guide my blessings in their reading in the future. That said, I am reading quite a bit lately. One of the latest trips to the library yielded finding the book Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott. Here is a quote that I found and had to share.



 "This fine talent is neglected nowadays, and considered old-fashioned, which is a sad mistake, and one that I don't mean to make in bringing up my girl. It should be a part of every girl's education, and I know of a most accomplished lady who will teach you in the best and pleasantest manner."


"Oh, what is it?" cried Rose eagerly, charmed to be met in this helpful and cordial way.


"Housekeeping!" answered Dr. Alec.


"Is that an accomplishment?" asked Rose, while her face fell, for she had indulged all sorts of vague, delighful dreams.


"Yes; it is one of the most beautiful as well as useful of all the arts a woman can learn. Not so romantic, perhaps, as singing, painting, writing, or teaching, even; but the one that makes many happy and comfortable, and home is the sweetest place in the world. Yes, you  many open your big eyes; but it is a fact that I had rather see you a good housekeeper than the greatest belle in the city. It need not interfere with any talent you may possess, but it is a necesary part of your training, and I hope that you will set about it at once, now that you are well and strong." (emphasis added)



That section of this book made me get out of bed where I was nice and cozy and warm to come post this tonight. May my family be happy and comfortable and home be the sweetest place in the world to them.


May the Lord find us faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment