Thursday, September 16, 2010

Moose

Anyone who has read this blog for any length of time knows that our main source of meat comes from our wonderful moose. My husband and the hunting crew have spent the past week and a half out looking for a moose for the freezer, finally, on Monday, a moose for the freezer became a reality! The moose had to split between three families but it will fill the freezer and the little bellies around here until another moose hunting opportunity.

And can you believe it that I did not take one picture of the process yesterday? Not one.

I am one thankful lady for all the salmon, halibut, shrimp and moose in the freezer.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Happy Day!!! I do hope to try moose someday, I love buffalo, I wonder if it tastes similar?

    Yes, the cranes said to say hi to you while they were here. They will see you next spring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moose? Really? Wow, what does it taste like? (and please don't say chicken, lol) I'm guessing something like venison.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious to know what moose tastes like as well. Sounds like you are blessed with a well-stocked freezer this season!
    melanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moose doesn't taste as "gamy" as venison. Honestly, I have eaten moose for seventeen years so it is almost difficult to compare it to anything. Moose is very lean and tastes nothing like chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie,
    We are very thankful for the full freezer. Moose isn't as gamy as venison and not quite as the same taste as beef, somewhere in the middle, maybe it is the lack of fat?

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I'm ever in Alaska, I'll have to try it then :)

    ReplyDelete