Sunday, September 25, 2011

Am I the Only One and Standing in Line. Really?

This week I had the opportunity to spend some time on two separate occasions with two of my fellow home educating Mom friends. Now this was a rare treat but it was also very needed in my week as I do not often get such opportunities. 
First I will address the "Am I the Only One" part of my title. Somewhere in the conversation my friend asked me the question, "Am I the only one that sees my kids imperfections", or something along those lines, maybe I shouldn't have used quotations...anyway. Do you know how many times I have asked myself that question? That is what I said to my friend that night. Really. I am serious, I know they are not perfect, they are great Blessings and I love them dearly but I know that they are not faultless. I just want to shout from the rooftops, take off the rose colored glasses! Wake up, no one is perfect. Stop denying! I feel her pain and I guess that is why we are friends, we live in reality and I love her family, imperfections she sees and all. Oh well, my imperfect Blessings can keep on living with their imperfect parents in their imperfectly kept house in a fallen world. Enough on that soapbox.

Next soapbox, my other friend was sharing with me some of the reasons people give for sending their children to school. Now, I do not think that every family should educate at home, it is a huge challenge and takes a lot of time and commitment that many are just not able or willing to give. But this one reason cracked me up, learning to stand in line, really? I laughed so hard on this one. I wonder if my children know how to stand in line, I have never taught a class or unit study on standing in line. Oh wait, they learned to stand in line at the grocery store and the library and at DMV and the hardware store.  Yep, my wonderful husband and I have taken them with us from the beginning so our Blessings have been line standers since they were born, well, let's say at least two or three when they were released from their seats or strollers during the training process of learning to follow verbal commands and working on self control and obedience. I am not sure I want my Blessings to stand in line with their peers, they stand in line with Dad and Mom until they will stand in line alone or with their own family.


Please take this post for what it is, this is my blog. Therefore, I can post my humble opinions or rantings from my soapbox, just be thankful that I keep the soapbox put away most of the time. I could really get on my soapbox everyday. Be thankful for what little self control that I do have.

3 comments:

  1. My kids have to stand in line at church a lot. *giggles* Soap box posts are totally allowed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, that just made me snort.

    Line standing, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. Don't think I've heard that one either. And like you, my kids have learned to stand in line at many different places too. Glad you have a friend that you can hang with like that. It's always a blessing and something we all need. :)

    ReplyDelete