Wednesday, February 9, 2011

**WARNING***** This post contains pictures of raw meat...do you know what that means?


We have caribou meat for the freezer. I am happy, happy, happy about that!!!!!! Our partial moose was almost all gone, like one package of ground moose(mooger) and one package of backstrap gone. Don't feel to sorry for us though because we were making it through with shrimp, halibut and Alaska red salmon and some moose sharing via my husbands hunting partner. Hunting partners are important ya' know. 
Levi has been upgraded to meat cutter this year, the girls are removing hair from the meat before Dad
gives the meat a final trim and exam. Being as this is .
winter, the caribou was quite hairy.
My job in all of this? To keep the little guy out of trouble and out of everyone's way. We finally came in and cleaned up his toy bonanza from the day, then I remembered he needed a bath so that took up some time until bedtime. Boy was I tired! 

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

  1. Yep, that's why I buy my meat from the butcher. :) lol Though I will say, I've heard about it all before. Everyone around here hunts and cuts of their own meat. Glad you could stock up your freezer, that's always nice. :)

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing, Melissa! I am so missing having a freezer full of deer meat. Dh wasn't able to go hunting this year, so that means an empty freezer. I'm hoping next season he'll be able to go. My job is usually to wrap it up in freezer paper.

    Sharity

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I think I'd become a vegetarian. How awful am I?! Glad you got to stock up though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great family activity. Your little guy is soo cute!!! Do you buy any meat or just hunt & fish it all yourselves (& w/friends)? I think it's great you can do that. Jeff isn't a hunter or fisherman...I just ordered 1/4 cow for $350+ processing charges (and that's quite a savings from buying it at the grocery). Just think of all the money you save.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe I am going to say this...

    We are super excited to come learn how to stock our freezer in some way other than the commissary ;) God sure is doing a work in the heart of this Florda girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! We did this last year, so good for the kids and our caribou was awesome! Once someone said "how gross" when my husband showed off our daughter's kill of 5 ptarmigan. All it was missing was the saran wrap and the styrofoam tray, I don't get people.

    ReplyDelete