Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Walk and Cinnamon Rolls

I have been trying to make it to home school skating for a couple of months but it just hasn't happened. I have been missing out. I had a most enjoyable walk/chat with Conni. We ran into each other at Wal-Mart one day but we each were accompanied by our husbands and children so the chat was rather quick. I am just thrilled to get to have a chat with a real home school mom, yes, we have those here but I rarely find this type of conversation (and we didn't just chat about education).

Levi and Elisabeth had testing today and will have more testing tomorrow, so the days are a little different for us but good. I have cinnamon rolls in the fridge ready to bake up in the morning for the hungry testers and test givers at testing tomorrow. I made a batch and a half of soaked cinnamon rolls. I really wish I had the URL for the blog I got this from, they are yummy.


Soaked Cinnamon Rolls

Day one (Night before or about seven hours before making cinnamon rolls)
4 cups fresh ground flour
1/2 each milk, buttermilk and warm water 

In a glass bowl, stir together flour and liquids to completely wet all of the flour. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let set on counter until morning or about seven hours.

Day two (Morning or seven hours later)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

1/4 cup warm water
1 Tablespoon honey
2 Tablespoons yeast
1 teaspoon salt

Place dough into mixer bowl with dough hook.

Mix:  warm water, honey and yeast and pour into mixer bowl. Add 1 teaspoon salt. 

Mix with until kneaded well, time depends upon your mixer. You know, until the dough forms a ball and sides of mixer are clean.
Let rise for 15 minutes.

Filling:
1/4 cup soft butter
1 Tablespoon cinnamon 
1/2 cup sugar   (I use evaporated cane juice crystals)
Roll out the dough into a rectangle on a lightly oiled surface. Spread butter and add cinnamon and sugar. Roll up, cut, place in 9x13 inch pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

I make a simple powdered sugar and milk glaze to drizzle over the top.



This is our go to cinnamon roll recipe around here, except I am not a morning person, so I usually start their soak in the morning and make them in the evening and let them set in the fridge all night and bake them in the morning. Works fine for me. 

I also made a batch of Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls. It was strange to use that much white flour. I mean I use the stuff but usually mixed with my freshly ground whole wheat. I know those cinnamon rolls are going to be yummy though.
 

3 comments:

  1. They sound very yummy. I usually cheat and use my bread mixer to make cinnamon rolls, but either way, homemade are the best. :)

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow I missed this post while I was sickly. I am on the hunt for a good cinn. bun recipe. Thanks. I don't have a grinder. Do you think using a quality whole wheat white flour would work? I get it from Trader Joe's. It is wonderful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh I have been wanting to start making some soaked breads. This sounds soooooooo yummy! Do you have one for everyday bread too? I would love a recipe. [0=

    Blessings in Him<><
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete