Monday, February 21, 2011

Lots of Snow

Overnight we had about a foot of snow. Wow! Now I hear you lower 48 people. "You live in Alaska, what is the big deal with snow?" Well, I will tell you. Here in the Interior of Alaska where we live we do not get a ton of snow. Yes, we have snow on the ground from October to April/May every year but it isn't a lot of snow. And to get a foot of snow all at once like this is just fantabulous! (yes, I made that word up)



My Wonderful Husband is getting the four wheeler dug out and heated up for snow plowing. Poor guys, they were planning on a father/son snowmachine/caribou hunt today. I was still in bed and stuck there since the little fella had woke up earlier and was sleeping in our bed. I dare not get up because as soon as I step out of bed he is awake. So I lay there listening to voices and wonder why in the world they were not gone yet and why they were being so loud and hoping they would not wake the little fella. Finally, I was overly ready to get up and the voices were right outside my window so I got up to look out and they were doing something near my window to a vent or something.
I am sad that they will not get their hunt today but I am super de duper glad that Dad will be home with us today. Then bummed again that the house is a wreck and that I will spend about 7/8ths of my day cleaning and the rest will be spent cooking. But my husband is home!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. I love your "happy heart" attitude! It gives me hope...that and maybe since this has been such a booger of a winter for you (ice storm and deep snow), maybe next winter will be a bit more mild, to help this poor transplant out ;)

    Hubby got all excited when I showed him the part in this post about snowmachine/caribou hunting!

    And, I have to ask what time of day did you take this picture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Queen....Snowfall in these quantities are a thrill for us because it isn't normal! My husband is still plowing. These pictures were taken around 8:15am ish!It is so gray because of the clouds/snow. Our daylight has drastically increased since winter solstice. The sunrise was 8:27 and the sun will not "set" today until almost 6:00, so things are looking brighter each day!
    Oh, my husband is a die hard hunter/fisherman. It is in his blood, so I just roll with it. At least he brings home food. He could just go out riding snowmachines for hours on end and only burn fuel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That much sun already! Oh, you do my heart a world of good!!! This Florida girl loves her sunshine. We lived in PA for 2 years, and I would daily pray for sun. It was so grey there near the Great Lakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is a lot. Glad he was home and could take care of things. :)

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any more and the roof would have to be shoveled! Glad you could "enjoy" a family day. I know what you mean. But it beats having a clean house and no kids! At least that is what I hear.

    ReplyDelete