Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Preschool Educational Philosophy

I do not hold to the push for early education as do the educational powers that be. Maybe this shows my rebellious nature, maybe I just haven't bought into their ways of thinking. I believe in living and learning in the daily living of life. I took Early Childhood Development in college, I loved that class, I love the toddler and preschool years. These early years are all about learning.
I guess lifestyle is a huge factor in early child development. These wonderful little guys love to be busy. Benjamin and I are reading Eloise Wilkin Golden Book stories at bedtime. These stories are precious. A glimpse at days gone by, when children didn't start school until first grade, *gasp* first grade! 
What I love about these stories, written in the late 1950's, is the showing of daily life. Life skills: getting dressed, daily schedules, household chores, playing, and family relationships. Very interesting when you think about. Mother and children at home, taking care of business, loving, working and playing. There is something so comforting in this scenario for me, maybe because this is similar to how my husband and I choose to live our life.

Anyway, back to early education.
I truly believe in teaching in the moment. It is rather easy to know when a child is ready to learn, they ask questions, all.of.the.time. Answer questions and read books. Really simple. Live life WITH your preschooler and the rest just seems to fall into place.


                 Playing with popsicles sticks


Sorting pattern blocks

Playing after, I think this is a pond

The Eloise Wilkin book

A walk with a Buddy

Painting, let them mix the colors, life will carry on, I promise.

Another living moment, at the library with big sister while she was attending a beading class. They had pony beads for the little guys. Love the look of concentration on his face.

I love this one, Benjamin drew the book shelf. 

3 comments:

  1. I love it when our little boys play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the last picture too. I have one of Elizabeth (with that same white board) in kindergarten. She had written "a bath is fun and wet" on it. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete