Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Little Soapbox

Sunday evening I was home alone as the family attended evening services at church. I checked foodnetwork for interesting programming and none was to be found. I settled on a movie on TCM with Van Johnson and Elizabeth Taylor. A line in the movie caught my attention. Elizabeth Taylor's character was attempting to wear a dress after giving birth to a baby and she said, "I'll never be a size 10 again."
I will leave it here because I have lots to say but I won't. But the American perspective is so messed up on so many levels.

3 comments:

  1. This makes me think of Scarlett O'Hara's lament after she gave birth to her first child. When Mammy tightens her corset and measures her waist at 20in, Scarlett wails --

    "You've just got to make it 18 and 1/2!"

    Mammy: "Miss Scarlet, You just had a baby. You ain't never gonna be 18 and 1/2 again and there's nothing you can do about it!"

    Scarlett: "There IS something to do about it -- I'll just not have any more babies."



    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, our perspectives are messed up. So hard to change them too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen....and neither will I!

    ReplyDelete