Saturday, February 5, 2011

What I have been up to today

I have been out of the house every day this week so today I was thrilled to have nothing on the calendar! I stayed in and I have been baking all morning.
Today we have made:

A double batch of:
Oatmeal Jam Bars
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
1 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup jam
Heat oven to 350 degrees and butter a foil-lined 8 inch square pan. (I just sprayed with non stick spray)
 Mix all ingredients together except jam. Press 2 cups of mixture into the pan and spread jam onto it. Sprinkle with remaining crumbs. Bake 35-40 minutes. Cool, cut, and enjoy!



We also made:
Chewy Granola Bars

1/2 cup brown sugar (I use evaporated cane juice crystals)
1/2 cup honey
2 tsp. vanilla
2/3 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter)
1/2 cup melted butter
Mix the above in a bowl and preheat oven to 350 degrees....then add:
3 cups oats
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
2 tsp. ground flax seeds
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/3 cup wheat germ
1 cup chocolate chips or dried fruit

Stir well then press into a greased cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Let cool before serving.


My last recipe was just for me. I am learning that I need to eat a good breakfast, preferably with protein. So, these will be waiting for me in the fridge each morning this week.


Muffin sized breakfast quiches

Spray 12 muffin tins
Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Saute 1/4 of an onion until translucent (you could add any of your favorite veggies here)
Crack 9 eggs into a bowl and add salt and pepper to taste, whisk. I sometimes add a splash of milk.
Place about 3-4 pieces of fresh spinach in each muffin cup, add onion and any other veggies and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese. If I have some cooked bacon in the fridge I chop it up and throw it in as well. Then I ladle the scrambled eggs into the muffin cup, filling about 2/3 full.
Bake about 15 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove and cool. I store these in an airtight container in the fridge and heat in the microwave.
Easy Peasy breakfast for Mom.

5 comments:

  1. OK, I think you are about 3 recipes ahead of me. lol. I guess I am not up to baking yet. I have the cinn. roll ingredients bought though. Maybe for Valentine's Day? I like these new recipes too and will see what time I have in the next couple weeks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those jam bars look like something right up my beloved's alley. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM. The jam bars will be made at our house this week! And I want to try the quiches. Always looking for more breakfast stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm slowly finding all the bloggers from HSB :-)

    I need to try that breakfast quiche/muffin recipe. Sounds yummy!

    blessings!
    Sharity

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to have to try your granola bars!

    ReplyDelete